Sunday, March 30, 2003

Geocaching



I did something new today, that combines gadget geekiness with map reading and hiking. It's called geocaching and is a modern version of the treasure hunt.



It requires a GPS receiver and information about the location of a geocache, which is usually a small weather-resistent plastic container filled with little knick-knacks and a log book. When you find the cache you open it, take a little trinket, leave one of your own and sign the log book. Then you hide it in the same location.



It's pretty fun and combines physical exercise with a little brain power, trying to use the GPS receiver to locate the geocache.



Today I hiked all over the Calaveras Hill area, which is south of 78 and a little east of College Blvd. The hill itself is a 20 million year old volcano plug and the view from the top today was great - I could see from the ocean all the way to Mt San Jacinto and the San Bernardino mountains.



I found 3 of the 4 geocaches I set out to look for; there are three or four others in the area I didn't even set out to find.



http://www.geocaching.com is a good place to start.

No comments: