Saturday, June 8, 2002

I Am A Criminal Suspect (Apparently)



I went shopping at a local nation-wide chain of computer stores today and was treated like a shoplifter because I walked out of the store after buying something.



I went shopping for some computer stuff today at a computer store. I don't usually go to this store but I was out and it was on my way back home. I found the time I needed and paid for it at the register. I was th eonly person at th register at the time. After completing the transaction I walked out f the exit. i was stopped by an employee who wanted to see my receipt. I asked him why. His response was, "Because that's what the sign says and it's my job."



We exchanged words and eventually I allowed him to examine my purchase and "let" me go.



I was torn - I needed this particular piece of equipment to get back online, but I wanted to go home and do my other chores (which I have been neglecting the last few weekends). I could have simply said, "Well, since you are treating me like a shoplifter I will return this item right now. You'll lose this sale and every potential sale in the future, too. Or you can assume I legitimately purchased this item and allow me to exit unharassed, just as almost every other store I've ever been in does." If the answer was "return it" then I would have had to drive down to the Apple store 30 miles away to buy a modem.



Guitar Center pulled this crap on me the last time I went there. I refused to allow him to look at my stuff and walked away. So, I now only go to local music stores for equipment and accessory purchases.



I'll not give this chain my business in the future, but I wish I had been able to make a freer (or maybe "more equal") choice this afternoon. I'll have to locate a store that stocks Apple products and use it from now on.

No comments: