Saturday, June 8, 2002

Ceiling Saga

I decided a few weeks ago to scrape the acoustic covering on the ceilings in my house. All of it. So, I called a few people and ended up picking a guy that someone else in the neighborhood had used.

We started off badly; he was supposed to start on Monday but didn't show up until Tuesday and then only worked a short time putting up plastic sheeting in the two unused bedrooms.

On Wednesday he did more; he scraped the master suite and the dining room.

On Thursday I came home to a complete trinawreck; the entire house was off-limits; every room had been blocked off with plastic sheeting, and the rooms were covered with scraped off stuff. I was a littl emad; I could barely get into the kitchen and the master suite. Both cats were outside and while Figaro responded almost immediately to my calls Aida wither ignored me or was too far away to hear. I did the best I could getting to bed and in the morning I called Anthony and told him he had to give me my house back for the weekend (since originally he was supposed to be done on Friday).

When I came home on Friday afternoon (I left work early), his crew was cleaning up. They had skip troweled every room except the two bedrooms upstairs and the entry hall (which is the two-story high ceiling and a difficult job, no doubt) and had removed all the plastic everywhere. I was very happy.

They will finish the skip troweling on Monday and prime and paint on Tuesday and Wednesday.

He mentioned that apparently at one time my master suite bathroom flooded beacause the dining room ceiling had been damaged and extensively repaired. He thought they had done a good job, though. He also told me he thought the original builder had done a decent job on the ceilings to begin with.

So, with a little luck I'll have scraped, troweled and painted ceilings on Wednesday.

No comments: